Connecticut SUP Laws
- PFD Requirement: Minimum age: Under 13, While underway, All length vessels
- Approved life jackets: USCG-approved Type I, II, or III, or Type V
- Alcohol Law – Connecticut has a BUI (Boating Under the Influence) law—0.08% blood alcohol content. 0.02% if you’re under 21.
- Lights: Use appropriate lighting when away from the dock between sunset and sunrise or during periods of restricted visibility
- Sounding Devices – Vessels less than 16 feet must have some means of producing a sound.
- Registration – Any vessel that is propelled only by oar or paddle is exempted from registration.
- Visual Distress Signaling – Visual Distress Signaling devices aren’t required except when boating in Long Island Sound and Fishers Island Sound