Delaware SUP Laws
- PFD Requirement: You must have one PDF on board per person Children under 12 must wear at all times, All length vessels
- Approved life jackets: USCG-approved Type I, II, or III, or Type V
- Alcohol Law – Title 23, Chapter 23 of the Delaware Code identifies an exemption from BUI (Boating Under the Influence) laws for devices moved by human power. For motorized kayaks and canoes a blood alcohol level of 0.08% is illegal and is considered BUI.
- Lights: at least one lantern or flashlight shining a white light. When away from the dock between sunset and sunrise or during periods of restricted visibility
- Sounding Devices – Vessels less than 39.4 feet. need a whistle or horn to use as a sounding device.
- Visual Distress Signaling – On federally controlled waters, all vessels are required to carry U.S. Coast Guard-approved night VDS devices when operating between sunset and sunrise. Manually propelled vessels are exempt from carrying day signaling devices.
- Registration – vessels without mechanical propulsion, like kayaks and canoes, are exempted from registration.