Certification is awarded upon completing the course, passing all tests, and achieving a satisfactory evaluation of your teaching and leadership skills, as well as your attention to safety. You will receive a PSUPA River SUP Level 1 Manual that covers everything covered in the course and more.
2 Courses Available:
- River SUP Certification – 2 days.
- Flat Water 1 Certification and River SUP Certification (3-4 days).
2-4 Days as scheduled with by your PSUPA Instructor Trainer
Certification course fee is set by and paid to Instructor Trainer, and varies with location and duration. A $75 US annual PSUPA membership fee is also required, and paid to PSUPA.
Class Location: Class 1+ to 2+ rivers.
Goals: Learn how to teach a basic river SUP class, learn water safety, and leadership. Optional basic SUP business skills also offered upon request.
Minimum Age of Participants: 18 years old.
Teacher-to-Student Ratio: 1:3; 2:6.
Certification Valid for 4 Years: PSUPA certified instructors are required to take a one-day refresher course in their certification every four years to keep their certification valid.
Keeping Certifications Active: Active Annual PSUPA Membership and Current hands-on First Aid / CPR certification is required to keep certification active.
- Successful completion of Flat Water 1 required prior to taking this course.
- Have current hands-on (i.e., not Internet-based) First Aid/CPR certification or Wilderness First Aid or Lifeguard Training certification or the equivalent for your location.
- Be in good overall physical shape and able to swim 200 yards, and able to lift and carry all equipment.
- Be able to launch and land a board safely, as well as safely fall from and remount a board.
- Competent paddling Class 2 - 3 rivers.
- Be able to paddle a minimum of 3 miles in varied conditions – for example, flat water, wind and river.
- Have positive interpersonal skills.
- Hold current PSUPA membership.
- Sign liability form, provided by Instructor Trainer.This is not a course for beginners.
Curriculum (2-3 Day Format):
- Discussion Topics:River TerminologyOn-River Communication – Methods and devices; Hand SignalsFloat planRiver Issues / Dangers / HazardsTypes of Rivers – Classifications / CFS / GradientTypes of Hydraulics and how to look for them / HydrologyReading waterPlanning a river tripBoard and gear outfitting
Equipment discussion – Clothing, boards, paddles.
Nutrition / hydration
Discussion or Hands-On - Rescue Skills:
-Self Rescue – Sitting, kneeling, swimming; walking in river and on-shore; prone paddling;
-Throw bag techniques
-Gear repair on-river – Common issues.
-Z Drag and similar mechanical rescues (optional)
Hands-on - Paddling Technique
-Entering and exiting river
-Bracing / stability
-Falling / recovery
Paddling Training Techniques / Games
-Catching multiple eddies - Catch eddies River left to middle to right and back.
-Ferrying Fun - Ferry facing upstream, then facing downstream, then goofy and regular foot.
-River racing techniques – Great for learning how to put it all together under time.
River SUP Business
-Marketing, community building, events/races.
Rivers and the Environment
-Conservation / River conservation groups
Requirements for Course Completion and Certification:
Tests are Pass/Fail with Passing grade at 80% or better.
- Pass on-water test
- Pass written test
- Demonstrate ability to teach land-based and on-water scenarios
- Approval of Instructor Trainer through standardized student evaluation, which includes accessing leadership, teaching skills, and attention to safety
Note: Instructor Trainers have the right not to pass students who do not adequately demonstrate teaching skills and have a poor overall evaluation. If a student who does not pass wants to continue to work toward certification, further training outlined by an Instructor Trainer, at an additional expense to the student, will be required prior to issuing certification.
If you are not an experienced paddler or don’t yet meet the requirements for this certification, please consider taking some basic and advanced SUP classes from our Instructor Trainers or Certified Instructors before pursuing this certification.