Fundamentals level 1 Certification
Certification is awarded upon completing the course. This includes passing an online test and demonstrating your ability to provide a quick lesson (monitored in person by a PSUPA instructor or remotely by submitting a video to PSUPA for review). This certification is a prerequisite for all other PSUPA Certifications.
Minimum Age of Participants: 16 years old.
- Have First Aid/CPR training or Wilderness First Aid or Lifeguard Training certification or the equivalent for your location.
- Be in good overall physical shape, be able to swim and be able to lift and carry all equipment.
- Be able to launch and land a board safely, as well as safely fall from and remount a board.
- Be comfortable walking on a SUP board and comfortable balancing in various water conditions.
- Know basic SUP paddling techniques and be able to maintain directional control of a board, including various strokes for turning and paddling straight.
- Have at least basic knowledge of paddling equipment, SUP terms and history of the sport.
- Have positive interpersonal skills.
- Hold current PSUPA membership.
This is not a course for beginners.
If you are not an experienced paddler or don’t yet meet the requirements for this certification, please consider taking some basic and advanced SUP classes from our Instructor Trainers or Certified Instructors before pursuing this certification.
- Water safety – which covers (among other things): emergency preparedness and rescue techniques
- Interpretation of weather and water conditions
- How to teach the basic elements of stand up paddling
- SUP gear and equipment overview
Requirements for Course Completion and Certification
- Demonstrate ability to provide “first timer” briefing (in-person or remotely by video)
- Pass online written test
I want to start now and can do this on my own!
Please complete payment of $132.75 for access to the Fundamentals 1, self-paced / remote course.
Successful completion of course requires: passing written test along with evaluation of skills (via submitted video)
***** PSUPA Membership Required to Be Certified *****
If you are not yet a member, please join now >>> Click Here to join
I already have an Instructor lined up!
Please complete payment of $14.25 for access to the Fundamentals 1 test, to be taken after completing the in person training and evaluation.
Successful completion of course requires: passing written test along with evaluation of skills (performed by your PSUPA Instructor).
*** Note: the Instructor’s fees are separate and set by each Instructor