To the best of our knowledge, these rules for being on the water are accurate and up to date. Most state laws relating to water activities are 10+ years old.
It is always advisable to check with local experts or resources to verify the rules for any place you are not familiar with the law. Some state, regional or local parks require permits and licenses if instruction is taking place.
If you find any errors, or have additions, please send them to email@example.com
State laws --- Know before you go
Click on a state to get the scoop
Websites you should know...
General Water Safety Resources
- Red Cross - Select your area to find water safety education and life guard training classes.
- Seattle Yachts. Some great tips on safety for Kayaks & Paddle Boards
Pacific Medical Training. necessary life-saving steps when faced with a situation where someone is unconscious
- Essential First Aid Packing Tips for Summer Vacations
- Safe Swim
- National Water Safety Congress
- Paddling Light: How to Use a VHF Radio
- Marine VHF Frequency and Usage Tables
- International VHF Marine Radio Channels and Frequencies
Outdoor Industry Associations
- Outdoor Industry Organization - This organization has a helpful report on outdoor recreation participation.
- Stand Up Paddle Industry Association. (SUPIA) Find out what's going on out there in the SUP Industry.
- American Outdoor Association - Great org for businesses. Their annual event has over 100 outdoor biz seminars.
- NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) - Work with boating groups on safe paddling and boating legislation, education and laws.
- North America Safe Boating Campaign - Creators of the Wear It! campaign. Work with boat groups on water safety.
- US Coast Guard Boating Safety
- Wilderness Risk Management Conference / NOLS