Kentucky SUP Laws
- PFD Requirement: One life jacket on board per person. Kentucky law requires kids 12 years and younger to wear their life jacket while underway
- Alcohol Law Kentucky has Boating Under the Influence (BUI) laws—0.08% BAL is considered “under the influence”.
- Lights: Between sunset and sunrise, kayakers must carry a bright white handheld light to signal to other boaters. If practical, red and green bow lights are required as well.
- Sounding Devices – carrying a whistle is recommended.
- Registration – Non-motorized vessels, like SUP, kayaks and canoes, are exempt from registration.
- Operator Licensing – There is no age restriction on the operation of a SUP in Kentucky.
- Visual Distress Signaling- All vessels are required to carry night signaling devices. Manually propelled vessels are exempt from carrying day signaling devices. On federally controlled waters (coastline), all vessels are required to carry U.S. Coast Guard-approved night VDS devices.