California SUP Laws
- PFD Requirement: Minimum age: Under 13, While underway, All length vessels
- Approved life jackets: USCG-approved Type I, II, or III, or Type V
- Alcohol Law – California has Boating Under the Influence (BUI) laws. If your blood alcohol level (BAL) of 0.08% or more or you are impaired to an “appreciable degree” you can get a BUI.
- Lights: Use appropriate lighting when away from the dock between sunset and sunrise or during periods of restricted visibility
- Sounding Devices – Vessels less than 39.4 feet. need a whistle or horn to use as a sounding device.
- California Registration – Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles do not have to be registered in California.
- Visual Distress Signaling – In general, no visual distress signaling device is required in California.